[kde-linux] In KDE4, to set a different background for each of the multiple desktops

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Fri Dec 25 09:53:00 UTC 2009

Am Friday 25 December 2009 07:40:22 schrieb Duncan:
> Unfortunately, the support for kde3 dropped before kde4 was
> ready to replace it

well, that's your opinion.
for me, kde4 _is_ now (from 4.3.x on) a viable replacement, except some not-
yet-ported (or not mature) applications (quanta, koffice), but one can still
run their kde3 versions in kde4 without major trouble.
what bugs me more, is that sooner or later, when kde3 will be abandoned by
even those distros still supporting it (e.g. debian lenny),
those who still use older hardware, will have to dump that or use something
else than kde, which is a shame, IMHO.
and no, I'm not speaking of aging 486's with 32 MB RAM :)
- kde4 is e.g. totally unusable on my 2.2 GHz AMD duron (1 GB RAM, sis
graphics), and I think there are still lots of comparable pc's out there.
dumping them all because they can't run a state-of-the-art desktop is just the
well known M$ way of 'progress'.

werner