[kde-linux] In KDE4, to set a different background for each of the multiple desktops

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 21:08:36 UTC 2009

Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2009/12/23 14:45 (GMT-0500) James Loughner composed:
>

>> Stan Goodman wrote:
>>

>>> Right you are. I will continue to examine that facility, which I currently
>>> regard as useless FOR ME.
>>>

>> LOL It is useless to you because you have not yet seen the light.
>>

> As many won't, since it's hidden in an unintuitive maze.
>

>> After all who needs microwave ovens or cell phones??
>>

> If you want the healthiest possible cooked food, you don't cook it in a
> microwave oven.
>
> There is no cell service where I live, while where I live has everything else
> I need. Plus, I prefer wires, so that less radiated energy has an opportunity
> to invade my body uninvited.
>
> KDE3 was, and remains, to many, the 2nd best desktop environment, trailing
> only IBM's WPS. Calling KDE4 KDE at all, at least through the latest GM
> release, is little short of an abomination to a _lot_ of experienced KDE3 users.
>
> It's hard to believe the amount of mailing list traffic just this one single
> subject has generated across the panoply of KDE4 incarnations in the popular
> distros including it in place of KDE3.

While I like some of KDE 4, if I could just stick with KDE 3, I would do
just that.  KDE 3 works for me and I am already used to using it as
well.  KDE 4 doesn't, at least not yet.

I think KDE 4 should have been something different too.  KDE 3 should
have been maintained longer EVEN IF KDE 4 was going to replace KDE 3.
People on the Gentoo lists mentioned the same thing.  It's not a drop in
replacement or a upgrade.  It's a whole new thing.  It's not a "new"
thing like M$ claims theirs to be either.  Their new thing sucks with a
new shine on the front.  lol

I sincerely hope KDE does a better job with KDE 5.  I have read where
several people have switched away form KDE because of the way this was
done.  KDE 3 was dropped before KDE 4 was even off to a good stable
start.  At least that is my opinion anyway.  For me, KDE 4 is still not
ready.

Dale

:-)  :-)