[kde-linux] How much change? was Re: In KDE4, to set a different background for each of the multiple desktops

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Dec 23 16:28:04 UTC 2009

Pablo Sanchez posted on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:14:37 -0500 as excerpted:

> I believe the amount of change per release is very subjective.  If you
> have too little change, it's difficult to advance a product to the next
> phase.  If you have too much change, you need to ensure processes are in
> place to move people forward.

Indeed.

The example that came up the other day was MS with progman, the MS
Windows 3.x shell.  They carried it forward into W95 along with fileman,
albeit without longfilename support, so people using it were stuck with
8.3, thus encouraging people to switch to the newer tools over time.

By contrast, kde4 dumped the desktop directory metaphor and only brought
it back in the form of the folderview desktop type after kicking and
screaming and bad reviews from the users.  Having that one single bit of
familiarity alone would have likely made the transition to kde4 much
smoother for many people, and along about kde 4.5 or 4.6, after just
about everybody was smoothly transitioned, /then/ they could have dropped
the folderview desktop type if desired.

/Most/ folks will eventually migrate, given the improved tools and the
continuing opportunity to do so over time, but they'll do it when /they/
are ready, and don't like being forced into it.  MS recognized that with
MS Windows 95 and it significantly strengthened their monopoly on the
desktop.  KDE failed to recognize that, and has paid a significant price
for it.