[kde-linux] upgrading to KDE 4.2.4

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Dec 5 13:26:18 UTC 2009

On Saturday, 2009-12-05, Duncan wrote:

> The only issue then is that of support.  If it's always in the same spot,
> things are easier.  But with distributions doing their thing anyway, and
> environmental variables already available to change the location from the
> default, just one more reason among many that it could be other than the
> default location isn't a big deal at all.

I don't think this is a big problem.
Of course a single location would be easier to deal with, but KDE has this
really nice tool which allows you to discover all paths the same way a KDE
application would, i.e. using the same API internally.

For example

kde4-config --path data

will display the search path KDE apps will use to locate their data.
Assuming a change to the framework would make the local part of that path list
point to somewhere in $XDG_DATA_HOME for new users, kde4-config would print
that path as the first in the search list on a new user account and print the
$KDEHOME based one on an old user account.

We could probably greate a GUI version of that tool or come up with a KRunner
plugin which can be queried for those paths.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring