[kde-linux] upgrading to KDE 4.2.4

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Dec 4 13:39:51 UTC 2009

On Friday, 2009-12-04, David Jarvie wrote:
> On Fri, December 4, 2009 4:32 am, Duncan wrote:
> > Pablo Sanchez posted on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 21:26:57 -0500 as excerpted:
> >> On Thursday 03 December 2009 at 8:43 pm, Louis Hinman penned about
> >> "[kde-linux] upgrading to KDE 4.2.4"

> >> Hi Lou,
> >>
> >> I believe all you'll need to do is rename `~/.kde' to be `~/.kde4'  Or
> >> if you have spare disk space, you can be super careful and `cp -rad
> >> ~/.kde ~/.kde4'
> >>
> >> You'll want to do either when you're not logged in as yourself.  You
> >> might want to boot up at level three - pass `3' to `grub'
> >>
> >> Please let others respond in case I'm wrong though.  :)
>
> It's not guaranteed that your kmail emails are stored in ~/.kde. If you
> have migrated in the past from older KDE versions, they could be in
> ~/Mail, or somewhere else. Look in ~/.kde/share/kmailrc (I think) to find
> the location if you have problems locating your emails.

kreadconfig --file kmailrc -group General --key folders

I agree with Anne: backup all your data, e.g. the home directory.
Then check with your distributor about their plan for the upgrade path.

If they decide to use different paths than before, they should have
instructions or tools aiding in the migration process.
If they ship the software unchanged regarding paths, the software itself will
deal with that.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring