[kde-linux] Thought in desperation

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Fri Dec 4 11:02:05 UTC 2009

Am Friday 04 December 2009 11:35:49 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Thursday 03 December 2009 13:37:30 Gmail wrote:
> > My problem is that we are a hard/soft-ware developing company and we do
> >  also  build total signage and traffic control systems.
>
> I would not consider for one moment running state-of-the-art distros on
>  such a system.  That's what Enterprise distros are for.  Install CentOS
>  and you get an ultra-stable KDE 3.5 system.  Keep your KDE4 system outside
>  your business interests.

agreed.
problem is: there is not much choice left nowadays when searching for such an
'enterprise distro' which still supports kde3.5.x - you mentioned centOS,
well, but that might imply other restrictions (e.g. problems with newer
hardware due to outdated kernel etc...).
in the end, it turns out that all those who want to stick with 3.5 for some
reasons, have a hard time now because kde depelopers and distros have given up
on 3.5 too early, before kde4 is a perfect replacement in all aspects.

werner