[kde-linux] Unpopulated Control-Center window

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 11:37:33 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 December 2009 10:42:39 Dale wrote:
>
>>> Maybe not, if you set KDE4 to lose all the eye candy. I have booted some
>>> Live Linux CDs with KDE4 on my 4+ year old Celeron laptop (stuck with
>>> the old Intel 8xx series video hardware) and the video hardware handles
>>> it fine if the eye candy is either turned off or very conservatively set.
>>>
>>> LXDE runs very well on the old hardware. So does Fluxbox.
>>>

>> Yea but I would leave all the eye candy turned on most likely.  I sort
>> of like the eye candy stuff, as long as it works.
>>

> My laptop is 4.5 years old.  I can use some desktop effects, but realistically
> I have to limit myself to a few, not switch on everything in sight :-)  As
> long as I do that it's perfectly usable for all normal work.
>
> Anne

I'm on a desktop which does give me a lot more options.  I can upgrade
my video card and stuff to "improve" the speed.  I think my CPU and ram
will be fine but a faster video card would help, although what I have is
not really bad tho.

My current rig is a AMD 2500+ with 2Gbs of ram sitting on a Abit NF7
v2.0 mobo.  I have a Nvidia FX-5200 with 128Mb of ram for a video card.
I have two older IDE drives and one SATA drive that is for data, movies
and such as that.

It's about 5 or 6 years old but it still works.  I hope to keep it
working for a lot longer tho.  May move it to the closet when I get me a
new rig built.

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  I'm currently building a update for KDE 4.  It appears to be KDE
4.3.4.  I can't wait to check it out.

Estimated update time: 8 hours, 7 minutes.