[kde-linux] Unpopulated Control-Center window

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Wed Dec 2 08:45:10 UTC 2009

At 04:19:20 on Wednesday Wednesday 02 December 2009, James Loughner
<jwrl at suddenlink.net> wrote:
> On 12/01/2009 07:00 AM, Dale wrote:
> > Stan Goodman wrote:

> >> Sure. I'll also try GNOME on openSuSE. What I will avoid doing is
> >> making a second career out of trying to undo KDE's foolishness.
> >>
> >> And no, I don't think it is a matter of either users or KDE4 being
> >> ready. It's more a reflection of losing sight of convenience and
> >> usability, and concentrating on bells-and-whistles -- ala Redmond
> >> (what a good name for a desktop theme).
> >
> > I am also on the Gentoo lists and some of them have went to Fluxbox.
> >  From what they have wrote, it has improved a lot but is still really
> > light.  It may be something you want to look into if Gnome is not
> > what you want either.
> >
> > For me, KDE 4 still has some things that don't work for me.  It gets
> > better each time a new update comes out but is still not there.  I
> > will say this tho, it is different.  You are dead on with that
> > observation. It's not KDE 3 with improvements or a few tweaks.
> >
> > Dale
> >
> > :-)  :-)

> Odd I got used to it right away. Running Suse 11.2. Took about a day
> and a half. It does thing you could not  possible do in 3.5. I have
> configured 4 "desktops"  One as the traditional desktop, another as my
> home directory, another into my development directory, the last is
> still a blank canvass. I like it though it is definitely different.
>
> Jim

Congratulations on having a day and a half that you can use to train on a
radically new desktop. I don't. Does everyone else? If it's "definitely
different", could not new features have been introduced incrementally, or
was it really necessary to drop it all on everybody in one swell foop --
while, according to others, not everything is working? Sounds like a
bunch of kids, like the web designers who HAVE to use ever available
jim-crack whether needed or not, whether or not it adds to the site. And
without providing an alternative for people who do not have a day and a
helf to fart around with it. It's dictatorial.

By the way, is there any actual utility to your four nifty desktops?
Anything you couldn't do quite easily with the abilities of KDE3? Or you
are enjoying the new bells and whistles -- at the cost of a day and a
half of your time?

I have two more specific complaints:

1) The text module on which kmail and the text editors rely doesn't handle
right-to-left languages adequately. It knows how to switch languages and
character sets, but text in Hebrew or Arabic is still aligned to the left
margin. Not important? think of writing English with the text aligned to
the right. This alone makes KDE4 unusable for me. I have no doubt that I
would discover other problems with writing text, were I to spend a few
minutes with it.

2) Someone has decided that the panels (I have two) should not contain
applications. The icons for the programs I use are arranged on the second
panel, and are as convenient as they could be. Why is it necessary to
deny this facility for the use of non-New Age users?

Change for the sake of change and novelty. Even Microsoft tries to
maintain consistency.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on