[kde-linux] Unpopulated Control-Center window

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 1 15:44:18 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 01 December 2009 12:57:13 Stan Goodman wrote:
> At 14:33:55 on Tuesday Tuesday 01 December 2009, Kevin Krammer
>
> <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> > On Monday, 2009-11-30, Stan Goodman wrote:
> > > *****
> > > x console <2>
> > > smartd[2004]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], 2 offline uncorrectable sectors
> > > Console log
> > > *****
> >
> > Once the harddisk itself (through smart) starts to report bad sectors,
> > it has quite likely used up all its spare sectors and is going to loose
> > more in the not to distant future.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kevin
>
> That's my feeling. Happily, the machine is  only two months into a
> three-year warranty, so I don't have to wait to find out.

FWIW my Acer laptop started to get warnings from SMART a month before the
warranty ran out.  I copied the warnings on to Acer, asking for a returns
number, agreeing that I would include the full report in the return parcel.
They accepted that without questions and I got a new hard drive FOC.

KDE Community Working Group