[kde-linux] Unpopulated Control-Center window

James Loughner jwrl at suddenlink.net
Tue Dec 1 00:09:06 UTC 2009

On 11/30/2009 02:40 PM, Stan Goodman wrote:
> At 18:31:11 on Monday Monday 30 November 2009, Werner Joss
> <werner at hoernerfranzracing.de> wrote:
>
>> Am Monday 30 November 2009 17:21:27 schrieb Stan Goodman:
>>
>>> I'd be grateful for advice on how to restore this functionality.
>>>
>> maybe running kbuildsycoca --global helps (kbuildsycoca4 for kde4)
>> - this should rebuild the control center database/cache.
>>
>> werner
>>
> This is what happened:
>
> # kbuildsycoca --global
> Warning: kbuildkbuildsycoca is unable to register with DCOP
>
> That sounds like the reason the problem exists in the first place.
>
> I should also mention that upon boot, there is a dialog box, as follows:
>
> *****
> x console <2>
> smartd[2004]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], 2 offline uncorrectable sectors
> Console log
> *****
>
> This seems to mean that I have two bad sectors in the area of the HD used
> by this OS. I suppose this may be what is behind the non-functional
> kcontrol.

Yep run a low level disk scan ( I use Spinrite (not free))
There is a small chance that you can recover the data. In any case the
scan software should fix or replace the sectors. There is a good chance
that the data may not be recoverable and generally you will need to
rebuild the file system. If this reoccures think about a new drive.

Jim