[kde-linux] Sleeping Display

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 05:49:06 UTC 2009

Leslie Rhorer wrote:
>> I am not sure if this meets your needs, but tapping the Shift key clears
>> the KDE screensaver on all versions of KDE as far back as I can remember.
>>

> 	No, it doesn't.  This has to be done PROGRAMMATICALLY.  There won't
> be anyone near the keyboard.  Waking the screen will be the queue for the
> user to come over to the keyboard.
>

>> Disclaimer: As for awakening a console session, I shall have to await my
>> return home tomorrow to test. Am currently using an Eee 1000 with the
>> less-than-stellar Xandros Linux. Among much else, it lacks any evident way
>> to start a console session. Even finding a terminal from the graphical
>> interface took Googling.
>>

> 	I'm not looking to start a console session.  I just want to wake the
> screen on an already running KDE desktop session on the console.  I did some
> testing with `setterm -term linux -powersave xx | -powerdown xx | -blank xx`
> based on Jim Lougher's suggestion it is the Linux terminal blanker, but I
> had no success, there.
>
> 	The KDE screensaver is showing some promise using `dcop kdesktop
> KScreensaverIface save | quit`.  I'm going to do some testing in a few
> moments.  The only thing about this is I believe it will only blank the
> screen, not power up / down the monitor, and I would just as soon power down
> the monitor, assuming it works at all.  We'll see, though.

I'm not sure if this still works or not but it may so I thought I would
mention it.  I read a long time ago that someone would ssh into a system
and then type in echo 1 > /dev/path/to/mouse/device .  That would
basically tell the mouse to move and would make the monitor power up.

Again, I'm not sure this would work but it may be worth looking into.
Fairly simple at least.

Dale

:-)  :-)