[kde-linux] 20090815KL -- "Mangling" Pdates

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Sat Aug 15 06:05:56 UTC 2009

Greetings --

It is VERY early on Saturday where I live, but I will not be spending
much time with my computer until Sunday afternoon -- so please be
more-than "at liberty" to take some time with this inquiry!

I have an icon on the task-bar which points to some updates that are
ready for me.  One category (of four items) of these updates is
described as "blocked".  While I would like to "Apply" the bug-fix
updates and the security updates, I think that I want to avoid those
blocked updates.

On the other hand, these blocked updates are for (1) XEN
administrative tools {I am using VirtualBox, rather than XEN}, (2)
Python bindings for XEN, (3) General Linux kernel headers, and (4)
Generic Linux kernel image.  The XEN stuff wouldn't "necessarily" hurt
and the Linux items may well be desireable.  This leads me to wonder
-- "WHY they are being blocked?"

The "buttons" available are limited to "Apply all available updates",
"Refresh", and "History".  The "Help" and "Default" buttons are still
greyed-out.

QUESTIONS -- Is it possible (if so, then HOW is it possible) to apply
ONLY the bug-fixes and the security updates?  Or am I better-off to
apply all?

PERSPECTIVE -- I am very much NOT a "bleeding-edge" Kubuntu user; I
am quite content to keep things simple and workable.  I value those
who will test everything, but I am incompetent for that kind of a role.
Please be so kind as to consider this aspect of ME before you
comment!

And THANK YOU for the time you have spent with this inquiry!!!!!