[kde-linux] 20090813KL -- A Curiosity

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Thu Aug 13 16:12:47 UTC 2009

Greetings --

I am posting this BOTH to kubuntu-users and to kde-linux because I do
not know where it really ought to be posted!

I am a native speaker of American English.  With some instruction since
grade-school, I speak passable Spanish.  I have taken first-year
Mandarin Chinese enough times that I am almost at that level!

VERY shortly after I first installed Kubuntu Jaunty and Synaptic, I
found a repo (I am am sure that it WAS Ubuntu-associated) that
offered "language packages" -- so I downloaded Spanish (first) and then
Chinese.  The next thing I knew, EVERYTHING on my system was appearing
in "Traditional Chinese" -- not even the "Simplified Chinese" of which
I know a little!

Instead of panicking, I tried to research ANYway.  After a while, I
found something called "Language Selector", and I downloaded and
installed it greedily!  When it ran, it stated that the first language
listed in one of its panes IS the "system language".  It also made it
pretty easy to change the sequence in which those languages are listed.
I set it to English, Spanish, Chinese, and got MOSTLY the effect that I
wanted.

There ARE, however, a few remaining peculiarities.  Especially
when "file type" is listed (as in Dolphin), it can appear in (1)
English, (2) Chinese, (3) Spanish, or (4) Spanish and Chinese!!!

Does anyone know why this is happening?  Is there a way to specify which
language should be used for "file type"?  And, if nobody has the
answers to those perplexing questions, does anyone know of a more
appropriate forum in which I should post my questions?

This is NOT a "critical" issue at all; I can even live with things just
as they are.  But I really WOULD like to extend my control of this box
into the last little corners -- so I THANK each of you, VERY sincerely,
for any possible reply.

--
布鲁&#26031  麦克阿&#29791
Bruce   Mac Arthur