[kde-linux] 20090807KL -- "Emergency" -- Lost File

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Sat Aug 8 21:18:22 UTC 2009

On Saturday 08 August 2009 05:05, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Saturday, 2009-08-08, Bruce MacArthur wrote:
> > When I returned, my monitor was dark.  Usually this simply means
> > that the screen-saver is working.  However, I was entirely unable
> > to recover the display!  Although we have been having "electrical
> > storms" in the past few days, there was no such problem in the
> > area, and no other evidence of a power outage anywhere in the
> > house.  In a few moments, seeing few alternatives, I powered the
> > entire computer down brutally, and then rebooted.  When I opened
> > the file that I had been editing in Kate, several VERY extensive
> > pages of physical printed matter (that I had previously entered --
> > and then saved, incrementally, several times) were no longer to be
> > seen -- either via Konquorer or via Kate!!!
> >
> > Can anyone give me detailed directions for recovering a
> > more-complete version of my HTML file under these peculiar
> > circumstances?
>
> Kate usually creates a backup file in the same locations, same name
> with ~ added at the end.
> If the unclean shutdown caused filesystem corruption you might have
> something in the filesystem's lost&found folder (if it has one).
>
> General advice: if you get into such a situation, the "Sys-Request"
> keys might still be working.
> Alt+SysReq+S syncs the filesystem (writes all pending buffers to
> disc)
>
> Alt+SysReg+U remounts all filesystems as read-only (saving them from
> being corrupted by anthing to come)
>
> Alt+SysReq+B reboots the system.
>
> I am not sure though if all distributors enable SysRe keys, I just
> know I use them now and then (Debian unstable here).
Hello, Kevin --
I was not previously aware of Alt+SysReq+x key-chords -- let alone any
of the details.  THANK YOU for this information.  Right here in
openSUSE KMail (exactly as mis-installed on THIS box!) they seem to do
nothing.  The next time I go into Jaunty -- and before I do anything
else -- I will check out these options.  Perhaps some useful
information will be developed.  As noted in replies to other people, I
AM concerned about NOT corrupting things anymore than I have already
unwittingly done so, so it may be a moment or two!  I will definitely
keep you posted on results.  THANKS again!!!

> > =====
> >
> > Slightly off-topic for this list is another issue that someone
> > might be able and willing to clarify for me.  Whenever I shut-down
> > Jaunty ("gracefully"!), I am given a 30-second warning.  I usually
> > click on it.  Then a message is displayed to the effect that KMail
> > needs the password for KWallet.  If this were when I am
> > starting-up, this would be expected -- but it happens during
> > SHUT-DOWN!!!
>
> Strange, maybe really bad timing (wallet already closed for shutdown,
> KMail trying to access an account).
I could hardly agree more!

> > One person suggested
> > that I delete KWallet, and I like the idea of doing so.  But I do
> > not yet see HOW to do so.  Can someone instruct me in this rather
> > basic task?
>
> I'd rather recommend quitting apps with important data before logout
> :) I do that to make sure they really had enough time to write all
> cached data back to disk properly.
I generally do just that myself -- for essentially the same reasons!
There was a cerain perverted logic to what I did, and it hinged on my
assumption that doing a lot of careful "Save" operations would give me
the backup I needed.  I even saw the file-sizes (current file and
backup file) changing.  But it was NOT enough!

--
布鲁&#26031  麦克阿&#29791
Bruce   Mac Arthur
     bmacasuru at fastmail.us