[kde-linux] Clear screen on konsole

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 30 19:24:58 UTC 2009

On Thursday 30 April 2009 11:26:03 Kenneth Marcy wrote:
> On Thursday 30 April 2009 09:37:25 Alain M. wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > if I issue clear om a konsole windows, it only issues a lot o new-lines,
> > but if I roll up with <ctrl+PgUp> or the mouse, the old text is there
> >
> > How can I clear all the text in a konsole window???
>
> Type clear then press enter.

Ctrl-L is an alternative to the clear command.

On my machine ctrl-PgUp does not move up the screen, but upward mouse
scrolling does reveal the history again. So, here's an additional note.

If you don't want to see that history as a result of mouse scrolling, for a
particular user's home directory, and for bash as a shell, move the
file .bash_history to a different file name, say .old_bash_history. Then
create a new history file. So, in the home directory:

ls -la .bash*    reveals existence and size of the current .bash_history.
MTV .bash_history .old_bash_history    renames the file.
touch .bash_history    creates a new file without the previous history.

Now ctrl-L or clear will operate as before with less history to reveal.

Ken