[kde-linux] Window focus using kde3.5.1a

twurgl at goodyear.com twurgl at goodyear.com
Fri Apr 10 10:55:57 UTC 2009

Kevin, thanks for the reply.  This would indeed take care of the problem I
sent you and which was described to me.  Thanks for the info about it.

It turns out the user in question wanted auto-raise for his windows and was
happy.

-tom

             Kevin Krammer
             <kevin.krammer at gm
             x.at>                                                      To
                                       kde-linux at kde.org
             04/08/2009 02:17                                           cc
             AM                        Tom Wurgler <twurgl at goodyear.com>,
                                       t901353 at rds4020.akr.goodyear.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [kde-linux] Window focus using
                                       kde3.5.1a

Hi Tom,

On Tuesday 07 April 2009, Tom Wurgler wrote:
> We had a problem back with kde 3.3 that when one runs an application that
> popups a window that requires user interaction, it put this popup behind
> all existing windows and the user wouldn't know there was something
needing
> his attention.
>
> We upgraded the kde to 3.4.2 (at that time) and the problem was resolved.
>
> Now we have new machines that came with KDE 3.5.1a having that same
> problem.
>
> Can you tell me how to set KDE so it brings the new popups to the front?

This sounds like the focus stealing prevention kicking in.

It's intent is to prevent sub windows of an application currently sitting
in
the background to interrupt user interaction with the application currently

in the foreground.

KWin, the window manager, does this by checking the parent/child
relationship
of windows, unfortunately some applications forget to set the respective
window properties.

However, the level of suppression is configurable in the module for window
options, reachable through control center or context menu of any window
decoration.

I think the settings is stored in the user's kwinrc config file where it
can
be extracted and put into the global one since you probably need this
systemwide.

In case you are OK with digging into config files, check kwinrulesrc, it
contains some preconfigured override rules for applications known to have
weird window behavior.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring