[kde-linux] Debian 5.0, KDE: getting konqueror to open links from kmail in the background (and not interfere with other behaviors)

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Apr 4 22:24:59 UTC 2009

Randy Kramer wrote:
> This question doesn't go into detail on all the things I've tried so
> far--I have googled, experimented, and read documentation but haven't
> found anything that resolves this for me.  I thought I'd try to ask it
> generally before trying to get more specific.
>
> Here's the problem:
>
> On Mandriva2006, KDE behaved as follows:
>    * on pressing <alt><F2>, regardless of the location of the mouse,
> focus was shifted to the "Run Command" popup and I could type into the
> combo box
>    * all popup dialogs on konqueror or other things (like the KDE
> control center) like those requesting me to type in the root password
> appeared on top of the application it was called from
>    * in kmail, and with an instance of konqueror open on the same
> desktop, if I click on a link in an email, it is opened in a new tab in
> the open instance of konqueror (usually anyway--maybe there is some
> limit to the number of tabs that will be opened that way before a new
> instance of konqueror is started), and *konqueror remains in the
> background*.
>
> To the best of my recollection, I did not have to do anything in the way
> of tweaking KDE, konqueror, or kmail configuration settings to get that
> behavior.
>
> In Debian 5.0, the behavior is different, and none of the options I've
> tried have let me get the same behavior.  As installed, the first two
> items behave the same, but clicking a link in kmail causes konqueror to
> open the link in the foreground.
>
> (Aside: And, initially, as a new instance of konqueror instead of a tab,
> but I quickly found the konqueror settings to have external links
> opened as a tab in the background:
>
>    * Open links in new tab instead of in new window
>    * Advanced: Open new tabs in the background
>    * Advanced: Open popups in new tab instead of in new window
>    * Advanced: Open as tab in existing konqueror when URL is called
> externally
> )
>
> If I start to fool around to change the behavior, primarily with the
> Configure Window Behavior -> Advanced -> Focused stealing prevention
> level:  like changing it from low to normal or high, I eventually get
> to the point where konqueror will open links clicked in kmail (in tabs)
> in the background, but at that point, authorization dialogs open in the
> background and the Run Command dialog (from <alt><F2>) doesn't open
> with the focus unless the mouse pointer happens to be within the
> boundaries of the dialog when it opens.
>
> My first question is--does anybody have it working the way I prefer
> (i.e., as it did in Mandriva2006) under any of:
>
>    * Debian 5.0
>    * KDE 3.5.10--I should point out that Debian 5.0 is sort of a hybrid
> somehow of 3.5.10 and 3.5.9--I can't explain what all that means,
> kmail is 1.9.9 and konqueror is 3.5.9
>
> Thanks!
>
> Randy Kramer

The command is:

	kfmclient newTab <URL>

However, this will only open it in an instance of Konqueror on the same
desktop.  Unfortunately, you can not specify a Profile with this command.

See:

	kfmclient --commands

Then there is the command:

	kstart --desktop <number> <command>

See:

	kstart --help

that you can use to select a desktop.

The problem is that they don't work together.  This is probably a bug,
but the command:

  	kstart --desktop 4 kfmclient newTab <URL>

will not do what you would expect.

--
JRT

Linux (mostly) From Scratch