[kde-linux] K3B won't burn right?

Emanoil Kotsev deloptes at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 00:44:12 UTC 2008

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 14:34:07 +0100
> From: "Gaffer." <derrick_s at tesco.net>
> Subject: Re: [kde-linux] K3B won't burn right?
> To: kde-linux at kde.org
>
> Hi Emanoil,

Hello,

> > I've recompiled the kernel and now read buffer
> speed is gone from 6
> > to 128MB/s :-D
>
> That is interesting in so much that its a remarkable
> improvement in
> performance !  Certainly worth the trouble

Yes for sure. It was funny, that I read the discussion about dma exactly when I was wondering if it's normal that the disk is so slow and sysstem so loaded

> Its probable that because laptops/notebooks were not
> mainstream at the
> time the original code was written, that no account of this
> inability
> to pull back the tray was taken.

Hm, I think the dell notebook I haveeee is pretty widely used. I think the problem is with the hardware may be, or?

> > It would be great if we could find the issue.
>
> Yes it would !  But I suspect that most people live with
> the problems
> hoping that it will be fixed next time around.

or never

> In programming terms this could just be an "off by
> one" error !  Where
> instead of starting counting from zero, it starts at one !

Yes, that's  what I  mean may be the problem is not in k3b but what the system reports is my second bet.

> > as no one takes care of the bug, I think it's
> worth doing it.
> >
> > What do you think?

I don't know exactly. I was thinking of a kind of wiki, as I've seen many such lists.
Collect some data and investigate. We may find a pattern i.e. subsystem, distro and hardware.
I'm interested to know if may be similar devices trigger this.

regards