[kde-linux] Kmail tray - moving square at the bottom

Bruce Bales bbales at cox.net
Sat Sep 6 17:50:20 UTC 2008

On Saturday 06 September 2008 12:12:15 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Saturday 06 September 2008, Bruce Bales wrote:
> > I have recently acquired a moving icon in the bottom right-hand corner of
> > the kmail window.  An arrow pointing upward and a small square that
> > continually runs back and forth.  I can't see any use for it and it is
> > very distracting. How can I eliminate it?
>
> This is the KMail progress indicator which is being used when KMail runs
> jobs such as fetching mail.
>
> Clicking the arrow button expands it to a more detailed view, e.g. telling
> you what jobs are running and how far they have progressed.
> You can also cancel any of those jobs in the expanded view.
>
> If the indicator is "running back and forth" it is showing progress of a
> job for which it couldn't determine a progress unit, e.g. when connecting
> to a server you know when you are done (are now connected) but you can't
> know beforehand when that will happen.
>
> The indicator will disappear once all jobs have been completed so if you
> are seeing it at all time there is some uncompletable thing going on and
> you probably want to check what that thing is to actually solve the problem
> causing it to "hang"
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Thanks, Kevin.  I had clicked on the arrow several times and tried to cancel
the work several times -- it was looking for mail for a no-longer-existant
user and it kept coming back.  Shortly before I got your email, kmail
crashed, and when I restarted it the moving square was gone.  I didn't think
to get a traceback.

Many thanks to you and all the other guys who keep us in software.
bruce