[kde-linux] Status of KDE 4.1.2?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 12 10:03:47 UTC 2008

On Sunday 12 October 2008 08:20:54 david wrote:
> Beso wrote:

> >> And I still figure it won't be until KDE 4.5 that we have a KDE4 that
> >> offers the full functionality of KDE3. They spent far too much time
> >> playing with the glamorous glitter and eye candy, trying to look pretty
> >> like OS X and its other would-be, Windows Vista.
> >
> > what do you mean by speaking of full functionality?!
>
> Just based on what I read posted here - applications that don't work,

'Applications that don't work' are often 'applications that don't work in this
distro' or 'in this version'.  If I'd seen the distro I'm using at this moment
first, I'd probably feel the same, but I've got many broken apps here that I
have working under KDE 4 on different boxes, with different distros.

And do remember that satisfied customers don't write about it.

> features that should work but don't. I still think they should have
> ported 3.5.x to QT4 and gotten it working, then started playing with the
> glitter and eye candy.

You just don't get it do you?  That was an impossibility.  Many things simply
would not port to qt4 and had to be rewritten.

Did you use KDE3.1?  I'd guess that there were at least as many complaints as
you are reading now.  KDE3 has had years of use after release.  Give KDE4 a
chance.  The devs are getting the old functionality back for you as quickly as
possible.  Most of them do have a day job, you know.

Your sig talks about community.  Community is 'we' not 'they'