[kde-linux] krunner (kde4) question

James Kerr jim at jkerr82508.free-online.co.uk
Sat Oct 4 12:28:03 UTC 2008

On Saturday 04 Oct 2008, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> In kde 3.5, entering "kdesu <command>" in the earlier equivalent of
> krunner resulted in the command being run suid root, the same as running
> "sudo <command>" in a terminal.
>
> In kubuntu 8.04, running kdesu in krunner in kde4.1 seems at best
> inconsistent.  Sometimes the command executes (as in calling konqueror)
> and sometimes it doesn't (as in calling dolphin). Nevertheless, sudo
> works fine. In kubuntu 8.10, kdesu in krunner doesn't seem to work at
> all.
>
> Has anyone seen this problem?  Solution?

The KDE4 dev's have decided for some, as yet unexplained, reason that users
should not have easy access to kdesu. You need to make it available. On my
Mandriva system I do this:

# ln -s /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu /usr/bin/kdesu
# chmod +x /usr/bin/kdesu

Presumably, something similar would work on kubuntu.

Jim