[kde-linux] Building plasma applets

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sun Nov 23 10:47:05 UTC 2008

I have built one of my own and also the darkstat applet. Both started out with
the same tutorial, word for word.

Results: Darkstat does not even show up on the add-widget menu. Mine does show
up but does not load ("cited as unknown"). The plasmoidviewer complains:

findServiceByDesktopPath:  not found
findServiceByDesktopPath:  not found

this regardless of the name or filename I feed it.

Has something changed since that tutorial was written?

This is my desktop file:
plasma-applet-phoneapplet.desktop

Desktop Entry]
Name=PhoneApplet
Comment=Phone Applet
Icon=voicecall
Type=Service

X-KDE-ServiceTypes=Plasma/Applet
X-KDE-Library=plasma_applet_phoneapplet
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Author=David Baron
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Email=d_baron at 012.net.il
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name=phoneapplet
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Version=0.1
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Website=
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Category=Utilities
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Depends=
X-KDE-PluginInfo-License=GPL
X-KDE-PluginInfo-EnabledByDefault=true
~

Here is my export line:

// This is the command that links your applet to the .desktop file
K_EXPORT_PLASMA_APPLET(.phoneapplet, PhoneApplet)

The desktop file and the plasma_applet_phoneapplet.so are being installed in
their proper /usr/local locations.

What am I doing wrong?