[kde-linux] 8.10 kubuntu beginner - desktop?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 10 21:16:14 UTC 2008

On Monday 10 November 2008 21:02:11 alan c wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 10 November 2008 20:13:50 alan c wrote:
> >> I have just installed kubuntu 8.10 for the first time and am trying to
> >> find my way around. I have changed the desktop wallpaper picture ok,
> >> and now I have deleted the large transparent window which contained a
> >> folder -  I think it was itself called desktop(??).
> >>
> >> Can anyone tell me how to re-instate this  transparent window which
> >> contained a folder please?
> >
> > Hi, Alan.  Yes, it was a folderview, I would guess.  Right-click on the
> > desktop and Add a Widget - select Folderview.  I'm not sure how *buntu
> > sets it up, but most distros seem to default to pointing it to /home.
> > You can click on the spanner that appears on the handle, and change the
> > location if you want, for instance to point it at your pictures or music.
> >  I have two on my desktop pointing to remote directories.
> >
> > With a little experimentation you'll find you can make it a much more
> > convenient size.  I prefer mine small, but you could even set it to the
> > whole desktop size if that's what you like.
> >
> > You might like to visit http://userbase.kde.org, where you'll find a
> > Glossary explaining the new terms, and links to many articles and videos
> > demonstrating the use of the new features.
> >
> > If there's anything specific you need help with, just ask :-)
>
> Thanks Anne! It is quite brilliant but totally confusing to begin
> with, and when taken unawares!

When I saw how confusing it was at first I decided that something had to be
done to help people adapt.  That's when a group of us started work on
userbase.  For it to achieve my dreams it will need a lot of users to add
their own favourite hints and tips, but I guess they need time to settle down
first :-)