[kde-linux] Longstanding printing problems in KDE4

Bruce Miller subscribe at brmiller.ca
Sat Nov 8 16:10:01 UTC 2008

I agree that there might be a problem with the setup. But I am not sure that it is a problem of a wrong driver. I am using the CUPS's recommended driver for this specific model. I print routinely with it from Firefox, gedit, and other non-KDE specific programs. That is why I am pointing a questioning finger at the KDE print routines.

My printer is an HP LaserJet 4L from before the Neanderthal era. (A real printer is at the top of the list when an expected lump sum payment arrives :-)) It is a parallel only printer but connected to the network with a parallel <-> Ethernet print server. The print server is configured with a static IP address 192.168.111.5 and hostname Cicero. The corresponding entry is in /etc/hosts. I can ping the printer routinely using both the IP address and the hostname. The print queue identifier is P1.

hp-setup could not locate the printer either automatically or manually.

If I recall correctly, these problems began while the printer was still connected directly to this Linux host and well before I got the print server. If you think it is useful --- and assuming I can still find a parallel cable --- I will try a direcct connection again.

 --
Bruce Miller, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
bruce at brmiller.ca; (613) 745-1151

Traduttore traditore