[kde-linux] Longstanding printing problems in KDE4

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Nov 8 05:10:45 UTC 2008

Bruce Miller wrote:

> Anne, Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> I have an HP printer. To the best of my knowledge, the non-printable
> areas on LaserJet printers have not changed since I first used the
> *_original_* LaserJet back in 1986. They are 0.5" on each of top and
> bottom and 0.25" on each of left and right (of a US Letter "portrait" page).
>
> In order to be less harsh on trees, I set up a virtual PDF printer with
> CUPS. That is where I now test my printing problems with KDE. They occur
> there too.
>
> --
> Bruce Miller, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
> bruce at brmiller.ca; (613) 745-1151
>
> Traduttore traditore

Hmmm, I just set up a page in OpenOffice, set the margins to 0", was
informed that they were outside the print margins, set the page
background to gray. Then I printed to our HP LJ2015D using the generic
postscript driver. The entire page was gray except for a 1/4" area all
the way around. I think the LJ1200 we had before that was similar.

Things may be different for HP inkjets. Some inkjets have some really
weird and uneven printable areas.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com