[kde-linux] home directory folders listed as desktop icons - unable to delete

sc toothpik at swbell.net
Sun May 18 19:45:53 UTC 2008

On Monday 19 May 2008 01:24, Vinu Moses wrote:
> On Sunday 18 May 2008 10:16:24 am Beso wrote:
> > 2008/5/18 Vinu Moses <vinu at cmcvellore.ac.in>:
> > > All folders and files on my home directory appear as icons on the
> > > desktop. If
> > > I try to delete these icons from the desktop, they reappear at the next
> > > session. Whenever I create a new folder or file in my home directory, it
> > > immediately shows up on the desktop. Similarly, if I delete a file or
> > > folder
> > > from my home directory, it disappears from my desktop too.
> >
> > you've set your home folder as desktop directory. search for the option
> > that sets the desktop folder and reset it to default, ie. /home/<your
> > username>/Desktop
>
> I did a quick search through my .kde configuration files before posting... but
> couldn't find the relevant entry. Was hoping someone on this list would have
> an answer.
>
> --Vinu.

i'm not sure i have the same version of kde that you do, but
for me, when i right click on the desktop one of the menu
items that displays is "configure desktop" within which when
i select 'behavior' i see a check box labeled 'show icons on
desktop' -- is this what you are looking for?  with it
unchecked no icons show up on any desktops

sc