[kde-linux] recommended books?

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Thu May 15 13:05:35 UTC 2008

2008/5/15 david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com>:

> sf2rio wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend a good book for background
> > understanding of KDE?
>
> Sorry, cannot. Haven't referred to a book about KDE ever, and only once
> referred to a book about Linux (the user manual of the first Linux
> distribution I used).

well, i've found google, the various wikis and the forums to be much more
instructive than any book. at least for 80-90% of the stuff one needs. also
books tend to put inside a lot of stuff that is more or less useless so that
to put more pages and to have the cost levitated.
some examples are:

http://wiki.kde.org/

http://www.kde-forum.org/

> I've looked at Amazon.com and
> > have seen "KDE for Linux for Dummies"
>
> The Dummy series have always been good.
>
> > and also something called "KDE Bible."
>
> Might be overkill.

in my opinion it's useless unless you don't want to become a system
administrator of kde based systems.

> > I'm a newbie to Linux and KDE and I'm a pretty basic
> > home user; email, internet research, basic word
> > processing.
> >
> > I've had my new system for a couple of months and I
> > understand how to operate everything that was
> > pre-installed on the notebook when I bought it.
> >
> > My problem is that I don't know how to add/change
> > things. I have KDE 3.5 and I don't know if I should go
> > to KDE 4.0.
>
> Don't. KDE4 isn't fully-functional yet compared to KDE3.

some apps of kde 4 a re good, but still the overall system quality is not at
3.5 standards. maybe by 4.1, scheduled for july, it will will function well.
i hope it will function well by that time and that it will support the new
libpciaccess api of the new xorg.

--
dott. ing. beso