[kde-linux] KDE logs?

Paulo Jorge de O. C. de Matos pocm at soton.ac.uk
Wed May 14 14:27:31 UTC 2008

pocm at soton.ac.uk (Paulo Jorge de O. C. de Matos) writes:

> Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> writes:
>
>> On Wednesday 14 May 2008, Paulo Jorge de O. C. de Matos wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> For some reason my KDE installations stopped working. Both KDE 4.0.3 and
>>> KDE 3.5.9 do not start. While starting they just stop and go back to
>>> kdm. What's the easiest way to check what the problem is?
>>
>> Is there anything interesting in .xsession-errors in your home directory?

My last reply was incorrect.
It seems that .xsession-errors is replaced each time a new xsession is
started. Anyway, I am getting this:
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/kde/4.0/lib64/kde4/libexec/kconf_update
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/kde/4.0/bin/kcminit_startup
kcminit(557)/kdecore (KLocale) KLocalePrivate::initEncoding:  Defaulting to ISO 8859-1 encoding.
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/kde/4.0/bin/ksmserver
ksmserver(560)/kdecore (KLocale) KLocalePrivate::initEncoding:  Defaulting to ISO 8859-1 encoding.
ksmserver: Unknown option 'replace'.
ksmserver: Use --help to get a list of available command line options.
startkde: Shutting down...
klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
Agent pid 529 killed
startkde: Done.

Problem is I have _no_ idea why is kdeinit4 calling ksmserver
incorrectly. Indeed replace is no option for ksmserver so I am really
without a clue but I shall assume this happened before or should be
easily reproducible/trackable.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Paulo Jorge Matos - pocm at soton.ac.uk