[kde-linux] Cannot access certain site

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Mar 29 09:22:39 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 29 March 2008 08:53:25 david wrote:
>> Anne Wilson wrote:
>>> Because a few years is a lifetime in computing.  At this moment we have
>>> no idea where we will be in either software or hardware terms.  We simply
>>> can't predict this.
>>>
>>> I accept your reservations, just not your timescale.

>>> Are you sure?  That's not the impression I got.  KDE4 should be less
>>> resource-heavy, not more.
>> I understand it has lower memory requirements than KDE3. I understand it
>> uses a lot more video card horsepower if you want the
>> supposedly-improved user interface.
>>
>> I have only one computer here that can even run Tuxracer (sorry,
>> PlanetPenguinRacer). Although I suppose my wife's new laptop could
>> probably handle it, if the new Intel video chipset does better with
>> OpenGL than it does throwing bitmaps around on the screen. Well,
>> actually, it appears that KUbuntu's support for the new Intel video
>> chipset in her laptop is available only via - the good old VESA driver.
>>
> So what sort of spec are you talking about?  It would help us to understand
> your problem.  As for the new laptop, maybe the video card is too recent?  It
> sometimes takes a while for things to catch up.  When I bought this laptop
> there was a similar problem, which went away as things updated.

We don't buy new stuff - we're bottom feeders. We buy cheap stuff.

The wife's new laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5804, which uses
Mobile Intel GL960 Express graphics. I did try to use KUbuntu's Intel
driver with it, and only succeeded in getting a blank black screen. So
is that chipset so new that Linux doesn't really support it yet?

My laptop is about four years old now. It uses Intel 855GM video. And
everytime X shuts down while using the Intel driver, it reports errors
trying to initialize some feature of the Intel 830 graphics chipset.

>> I can't seem to find any list anywhere of KDE4 hardware requirements. I
>> find lots of results for other people asking for such a list. Know where
>> one is?
>>
>> You're talking to someone who thinks less is more, whose idea of the
>> perfect user interface for a paint program is that of the original Targa
>> TIPS, and is quite comfortable with Fluxbox. I turn off the eye candy in
>> KDE3 (and Windows when I have to use it). ;-)
>
> Horses for courses.  Personally I dislike cubes, wobbly windows, tons of
> mouse-over effects.  I just switch them off.  The good thing about linux is
> that we can choose to do so.

And in every version of Windows that I've had to use. We never even
started up the copy of Windows Vista Home Premium that was installed on
my wife's laptop. My employer isn't even testing Windows Vista for
future use. They're not testing Linux, either, for that matter - they're
highly allergic to open source software, they only want products from
other big corporations.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com