[kde-linux] Cannot access certain site

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 27 10:34:56 UTC 2008

On Thursday 27 March 2008 09:59:05 david wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
>
> My credit union's website uses nothing more than standard Javascript -
> nothing to do with any MS 'extended anything'. It doesn't work in
> Konqueror - won't let you login, reports the account is locked and says
> to call their customer service number. It works in Firefox.
>
> > Remember that much of Konqueror is old code.
> > It will be interesting to see whether the problem remains in KDE4.
>
> It'll be a few years before I touch KDE4.

It would be unwise to use KDE4 right now in a production environment.  'A few
years' is a ridiculous statement, though.

> >> Konqueror has its own bugs. Somewhere in my email collection here I have
> >> a link to a completely W3C-valid web site that blows up in Konqueror and
> >> works fine in every other browser.
> >
> > What do you mean by 'blows up'?  What is the url?
>
> It was mentioned on this list and confirmed by other folk on the list as
>   failing in Konqueror 3.5.8. I just checked it, and the original site
> has been worked over so that it only partially fails in Konqueror now:
>
> http://fiercestreetnetworks.com/

The only thing that I see as broken in konqueror is that for some reason the
logo banner doesn't load.

> But it still doesn't work right in Konqueror, while being perfectly
> valid code that works in every other browser.

I'm no web-design expert, but I would thing that the line

<!--[if lte IE 6]>

implies that it is set to behave as expected in IE6, which is far from
compliant.

> Software can always be fixed. It's not something like a car engine,
> immutable once made.

No, it can't always be fixed.  There can be many dependency issues that stop a
quick fix.  A complete re-write is sometimes the only way.  And you can
guarantee that some new bugs will arrive.  The only question is how much
effort users are prepared to make to help squash the bugs.