[kde-linux] restoring from backup in Konqueror (and Firefox on KDE)

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 12:23:28 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 26 March 2008 12:08:44 James Kerr wrote:
>> I formatted the HDD containing /home because I feared that it might have
> > got corrupted in an attempt to dist-upgrade on the old HDD which went
> > pear shaped.  I then did
> >
> > # cp -Rpu /backup/. /home
[snip]
> I think that you should not have used the -u option with cp. The rc files
> created on installation or first boot will have later dates than your
> backup and so your backup rc files will not have been copied.

Learning the hard way.... :-(

Is there anything I can do to retrieve the bookmarks which are presumably
still there on /backup - until I next do a backup?

I could presumably do "cp -Rp /backup/. /home" at this stage - with very
little lost?  (Only the last two day's emails - and I have those on Gmail,
just less conveniently.)

TIA
Lisi