[kde-linux] Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes KDE and X.

Bruce Bales bbales at cox.net
Fri Mar 14 18:04:57 UTC 2008

On Thursday 13 March 2008 04:51:35 M K wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:42:19 -0700
> > From: ant at zimage.com
> > To: kde-linux at kde.org
> > Subject: Re: [kde-linux] Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes KDE and X.

> > > I was thinking it could be a corrupt file or something like that. Just
> > > maybe.  Weird things happen.  Since I use Gentoo, it may be a bit
> > > different.
> >
> > Too many weird things happen on computers. :)
> >
> > > Since you narrowed it down to Nvidia causing this, that would be a good
> > > place to post this.  Maybe someone there can reproduce the problem that
> > > can debug it better than we can.
> >
> > I hope so too!
>
> I tried to ask them about the X crash I had a few months ago (look for the
> mails with subject "KDE 'End Session' problem" in the archive) via their
> mailform and got an immediate answer that they don't respond any questions
> about Linux errors - let's hope you have more luck than me :-)

Maybe I can add some confusion to this.  I am running Gutsy kubuntu and
haven't used the cntl-alt-f# combination for a long time.  After seeing your
post, I tried it. No matter which virtual desktop I am in (F1 thru F4),
pressing the combination leaves me with a blank screen.  Seconds later the
monitor gives me a "No Signal."  cntl-alt-f7 quickly brings me back to where
I was.

Maybe this is not supposed to be a feature in Gutsy.  The last time I used it,
I had lost control and needed to get the machine back, but this may have been
before I upgraded to Gutsy.

Sorry I butted in with a different problem, but perhaps it will shed a bit of
light on your problem.
bruce