[kde-linux] Using ctrl-alt-F# keys crashes KDE and X.

Dale dalek1967 at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 11 04:44:02 UTC 2008

Phillip Pi wrote:
>>> << SNIP >>
>>> Now, I just came up with an idea. I should try a new account and try to
>>> reproduce it. I will do that later tonight (still at work :().
>>>
>> That is a good idea.  I hadn't thought of that either.  Interested in
>> seeing what happens when you try that.
>>
>> Not sure on the rest but I'm sure others are looking too.
>>

> OK, my other old account works (last used in late 2007) perfectly. No
> crashes. So I went back to my normal account with the crash problem. I
> renamed .kde/ to another one and reran startx to let KDE to make new
> settings (skipped the wizard). I was unable to reproduce the problem.
>
> So we're closer to the problem. I don't feel like reconfiguring my KDE
> at the moment. Are there anything I can look at? Maybe configurations in
> my .kde/?
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

I'm not sure which one but you can try to diff the files in
/home/your_user>/.kde3.5/share/config/ and see what is different between
that and the other account.  If you move files around, don't forget to
change the permissions on the file.  I would think the owner would be
the biggie.  Group may be fine.  Mine groups to users anyway.

One weird problem tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)