[kde-linux] kuser cannot apply password-change immediately using NIS

Tetsuya MORIMOTO tmorimoto at miraclelinux.com
Sat Jun 14 23:17:21 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have a little strange operation.
When we operate a user by kuser using NIS, it seems that changing password is not applied immediately.
However, changing password is applied when we operate something next time by kuser.

I don't know whether I do mis-operate or not.
And, I don't know where the detailed kdeadmin's document is, too.
# I have found only HELP document.

The version is kdeadmin-kuser-3.5.5-5.
The steps to Reproduce is as follows.
1. set up NIS server
# domainname EXAMPLE
# vi /etc/sysconfig/network
*** add ***
NISDOMAIN=EXAMPLE
# cd /var/yp
# make
# service portmap start
# service ypserv start
# rpcinfo -u localhost ypserv

2. set up NIS client
# vi /etc/yp.conf
domain EXAMPLE server <NIS Server IP address>
# service portmap start
# service ypbind start
# vi /etc/nsswitch.conf
*** modify ***
passwd: nis files
shadow: nis files
group: nis files

3. run/configure KUser on NIS server
# kuser
*** refer to attachment(kuser_configure01) ***
Select [Settings]->[Files] and configure [NIS Settings] as follows
  - NIS password source : /etc/passwd
  - NIS group source : /etc/group
  - NIS minimum UID : 500
  - NIS minimum GID : 500

4. add user and set password at the same time by kuser on NIS server
Select ADD botton, create new user named "nisuser01".

# tail /etc/passwd
~~~
nisuser01:x:500:100:NIS TEST USER:/home/nisuser01:/bin/bash
# tail /etc/shadow
~~~
nisuser01:$1$Y8nlXQA0$dcNVdQeTVHTclHBe/d/ha0:14042:0:::::0

5. log-in/confirm on NIS client
You cannot log-in to NIS client using that password.
Additionally, you cannot confirm by ypcat command.
# ypcat passwd | grep nisuser01
nisuser01:x:500:100:NIS TEST USER:/home/nisuser01:/bin/bash

6. add/edit a user by kuser on NIS server
For example, select EDIT botton, modify "Full Name" column.

7. log-in/confirm on NIS client
You can log-in to NIS client using that password.
Additionally, you can confirm the encrypted password by ypcat command.
# ypcat passwd | grep nisuser01
nisuser01:$1$Y8nlXQA0$dcNVdQeTVHTclHBe/d/ha0:500:100:NIS TEST USER
MODIFY:/home/nisuser01:/bin/bash

Thanks,
-Tetsuya