[kde-linux] Force a window to open in a particular desktop

Dale dalek1967 at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 6 11:42:18 UTC 2008

Bob McGowan wrote:
> Ben Forbes wrote:
>> Hmmm that's ok initially, but I've got a script running all the time,
>> checking if firefox is open, and if it's not, I open a new one. It
>> keeps stealing focus though! I turned "Focus Stealing Prevention" up
>> to extreme, but it still happens. Actually Firefox is the worst
>> offender, Konsole behaves fine.
>>
>>> Sounds like you need to use the Session Manager.  Configure > KDE
>>> Components > Session Manager.  Select the option you need under "On
>>> Login".  I use the manually saved session myself.  I get everything
>>> where I want it and then save the session, it's under the little start
>>> thingy, then it will start up the same way every time I login.
>
> Hi,
>
> Dale, thanks for the pointers.  I've wanted for a long time to have
> more control over window placement, etc. and your notes pointed me to
> the right place.
>
> I notice that there are two "Special" items in the "Advanced" menu,
> one for "Window", the other for "Application".
>
> The settings window for both of these look very much alike.  Could you
> provide some illumination as to what the difference is?

This is from the Documentation on my system:

Window Specific Settings
Here you can customize window settings specifically only for some windows.
Note
Please note that this configuration will not take effect if you do not
use KWin as your window manager. If you do use a different window
manager, please refer to its documentation for how to customize window
behavior.
Many of the settings you can configure here are those you can configure
on a global basis in the Window Behavior KControl module, however some
of them are even more detailed.
They encompass geometry, placement, whether a window should be kept
above or below others, focus stealing prevention, and translucency settings.
You can access this module in two ways: from the title bar of the
application you wish to configure, or from KControl. If you start it
from within KControl you can use the New... to create a window profile,
and the Detect button on the resulting dialog to partially fill in the
required information for the application you wish to configure.
You can also at any time Modify... or Delete any stored settings
profile, and reorder the list. Reordering the list is a convenience to
help you sort the profiles, and has no effect on how they are applied.

I would assume that "Application" applies to a entire application.  I
use Seamonkey for my web browser and my email.  I would assume that if I
use "Application" and set it to open on desktop 1 then both browser and
email would open up on the same window.  By using "Window" I can set
browser to desktop 1 and email to desktop 2.

Thats my thoughts at least.  Never tested and to chicken to mess with
what works.   ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)