[kde-linux] Force a window to open in a particular desktop

Bob McGowan bob_mcgowan at symantec.com
Thu Jun 5 17:34:16 UTC 2008

Ben Forbes wrote:
> Hmmm that's ok initially, but I've got a script running all the time,
> checking if firefox is open, and if it's not, I open a new one. It
> keeps stealing focus though! I turned "Focus Stealing Prevention" up
> to extreme, but it still happens. Actually Firefox is the worst
> offender, Konsole behaves fine.
>
>> Sounds like you need to use the Session Manager.  Configure > KDE
>> Components > Session Manager.  Select the option you need under "On
>> Login".  I use the manually saved session myself.  I get everything
>> where I want it and then save the session, it's under the little start
>> thingy, then it will start up the same way every time I login.

Ben, I forgot to ask, why you need a script to keep Firefox running?
Just curious. ;)

As for the focus stuff, it looks like the interpretation of the settings
is wrong.

I just set up my Firefox window (and application, first time around)
with these values:

   Window Settings:
     Geometry:
       Position:                   Remember  #,#
       Desktop:                    Remember  1:Desktop 1
     Preferences:
       Accept Focus:               Do Not Affect
     Workarounds:
       Focus stealing prevention:  Do Not Affect

Second go, I un-set the values I'd set up in the 'Application' edit window.

The result was the same, so it looks like the "Window Settings" edits
are all that's needed.

I started Firefox from a terminal window on desktop 2.  It started up on
desktop 1, at the remembered position, and did not grab focus.  I
continued to work in the terminal window for several minutes before
returning to desktop 1 to verify Firefox was up and running fine.

--
Bob McGowan