[kde-linux] interaction of kde3 and kde4 configurations

pkaplan1 at comcast.net pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 31 19:19:22 UTC 2008

From: Beso <givemesugarr at gmail.com>
> 2008/7/31 <pkaplan1 at comcast.net>
>
> > After installing kde4.1 on kubuntu 8.04 that had kde 3.5.9 already
> > installed I lost sound under 3.5.9.  (My guess is that this occurred after
> > the first time I launched 4.1.)  After much searching I discovered that the
> > problem lay in kde4.1 kmix.  Apparently it is muted by default on
> > installation (no idea why) and even though 3.5.9 kmix is not muted, there is
> > no sound in any environment.  After unmuting in 4.1, sound was restored.
> >
> > This leads to my real question/problem.
> >
> > I also noticed that after 4.1 was installed, session management on 3.5.9 is
> > flaky.  Windows don't appear on the correct desktop and sometimes are in the
> > wrong position as well.  I checked to make sure that session management is
> > enabled in both 3.5.9 and 4.1.
> >
> > Has anyone else seen this windowing behavior?  Is there a solution?
> >
> > Paul
>

> i don't knwo how kubuntu handles both versions on the same system, but my
> gentoo box has 2 different .kde dirs and a .kde symlink that points to the
> current kde session. try to check if kubuntu handles things in the same way.
> if that's the way it works, then you'll just need to move elsewhere the 2
> .kde3.5 and .kde4.1 dirs and then recreate them by doing a fresh login and
> reconfiguring the stuff again.

Kubuntu uses ~/.kde for the default 3.5.9 version and ~/.kde4 for 4.0 and, now, 4.1 (the latter is an update to 4.0.)  KDE 4 installs to /usr/lib/kde4 so the versions should be isolated, but the behavior suggests not.

BTW this happened to me on a cleanly installed version of the distro w/ 3.5.9 onto which I added 4.1, so both of the kde config directories were virgin.