[kde-linux] KDE 3.5 Apps work in KDE 4.1?

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 13:52:28 UTC 2008

2008/7/31 Randy Kramer <rhkramer at gmail.com>

> One of the reviews I read on the KDE 4.1 release said that, so far as he
> knew
> "all applications written for KDE 3.5 will continue running on 4.x".  I
> wasn't aware of that--is it a true statement?

if you have the needed deps installed then they'd have no problem working.
the problems might arise when apps went from 3.5 to 4.1 and your distro
doesn't use the slotted installation. for example gentoo splits the 2
versions into completely different locations on disk so you might continue
to use whatever of the 2 versions you preffer. but other distros don't use
this same approach. you could recreate this by manually building the 4.1
branch and by setting a completely different location for it (for example
/usr/kde/4.1/ and /usr/kde/4.1/libs as gentoo does) if your distro doesn't
support both versions installed. i'm currently switching from 4-trunk to
3.5.9 whenever i'd like. i also can use kde4 apps into 3.5 environment. so,
if you have the right deps you can run both versions and run programs from
one version or another based on the one you like more.

> Randy Kramer

dott. ing. beso