[kde-linux] Users guide to KDE?

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 16:44:46 UTC 2008

On Sunday 06 July 2008 11:59 am, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Sunday 06 July 2008, Randy Kramer wrote:
> I don't see how this puts less burden on the reader, since it is still a
form
> of marking articles.

The burden in the first case is that the reader always has to remember, in the
2nd case a reminder is always in front of him.  (Agreed, he might not always
read the reminder, but I'm hoping it will something that triggers before he
(presumably, accidentally) starts any rumors.)

> Even worse now the marking is not used to highlight the
> few special articles, but to emphasis all the personal opinions.

I was thinking of it being a standard footer (or header) in all posts from the
list.  Thus no one has to try to remember to include it.  When (if) there is
a release announcement on the list, the announcer should make a point,
something like, "contrary to the standard footer on this list, this is a
release announcement (or plan, or whatever)".

> From my point of view this would be kind of backwards, especially since the
> media (e.g. blog, mailinglist) already shows the difference to the official
> press releases (on project's homepage or directly linked to from there).

Not sure I follow you here--are you saying that the media already knows that
documents on the development discussion lists are not release announcements?

Even if so, what about more casual readers of the development discussion
lists?

> I hope we will never have to surrender to the closed information world by
> adopting their strategies, but if that is the last resort before not
> communicating at all, restrictions will have to be hard to pass, since
> the "fairly wide or not difficult to pass" approach has than been proved to
> be a failure.
>
> Lets hope that for once humanity will not be held back by those who think
that
> the ability to think for yourself is just an abomination of nature.

+1

Randy Kramer