[kde-linux] Vaio fan, how can I control it?

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 10:44:19 UTC 2008

2008/7/4 Jim Hitch <jim.hitch at englishlanguageservices.co.uk>:

> Hi
>
> Have picked up a beast of a Vaio from a mate. Don't have it with me at the
> moment, so not sure which one it is, but it's 2.8Ghz, I know that much.
>
> The fan appears to be on max constantly (sounds like it's about to take
> off),
> how can I control it through konsole or otherwise?
>
> Cheers
>
> Jim

first you need to see if the thermal points are set (you'll need passive,
active[0] and active[1] trip points set in your
/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRMxxx/trip_points
also the /proc/acpi/fan should contain at least a fan in there so that you
could be able to see the fan. if it still doesn't contain it, then the only
option is to install lm_sensors and try using them hoping that they
recognize the fan and are able to modify its speed.

--
dott. ing. beso