[kde-linux] Users guide to KDE?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 4 10:34:22 UTC 2008

On Friday 04 July 2008 10:59:25 David Jarvie wrote:
> So
> although the process hasn't been ideal for users who want to move to KDE4
> as quickly as possible, it has probably been the most practical way of
> doing things overall, and will result in a better product sooner (in KDE
> 4.1 or 4.2...).

I've realised, too, over recent times, that the tendency to do things the way
we always have done, doesn't always give the best efficiency.

A case in point is the Dolphin file manager.  My first reaction was to display
the navigation bar, which shows the full address.  After all, I've done it
that way since Win3.  However, if you don't display that you get what's
called the 'breadcrumbs' trail above the folder display.  Why is that better?
Well, to move just one level is the same in either view, but with the
breadcrumbs trail showing ~ >.kde > share > apps > korganizer you can simply
click on 'share' and from there access the config tree.  It doesn't sound
much, but in some cases you save a few clicks, and, of course, screen
refreshes.  Try it - it's really efficient.