[kde-linux] Users guide to KDE?

Gaffer. derrick_s at tesco.net
Thu Jul 3 19:43:44 UTC 2008

Hello Anne,

On Thursday 03 July 2008 20:23, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 03 July 2008 19:56:46 Gaffer. wrote:
> > Hi Kevin,
> >
> > On Thursday 03 July 2008 00:09, Kevin Coonan wrote:
> > > There seems to be a notable lack of consumer and non-hardcore
> > > Linux hacker documentation for KDE, esp. in the standard
> > > print/e-book (e.g. O'Reilly) distribution channels.  If you
> > > walk into your local book store you see guides to some other
> > > OS/UI's abound (e.g. Windows Vista for Dummies/Idiots/Power
> > > users).  While some may be happy w/ in line comments from the
> > > source code, or a man entry, there are many more potential
> > > users who would see this as a sign that they are not about to
> > > jump off the end of the earth . . .
> > >
> > > Anyone think this is an issue?  Seems like it would help move
> > > both end-users and business decision makers from proprietary
> > > platforms.
> >
> > Yes I think that there is a lack of documentation too !  In fact
> > about a six months ago I started to put together documentation to
> > form an "Idiots Guide" !  Not with any intention of publishing
> > it, but to try to create something I could use as a reference.
> >
> > Actually that was one of the reasons for subscribing to this
> > list, to gain insights from others and to help if I could.
> >
> > I have however become a little disillusioned !  KDE3 is great !
> > KDE4 isn't worth houseroom !  Or rather it isn't at the moment.
> > Most of the comments I hear, are about KDE4 and its failure to
> > live upto the expectations that have been touted.  I spoke to a
> > guy the other day who compared it to "Vista" !   I hope not.  But
> > it does bother me !
>
> With such big changes it never could have been incremental.
> Expectations were high, and 4.0 could not match those expections.
> Don't expect all to be perfect in 4.1, but you will certainly see a
> lot of the things you want fixed.

I think that the creation of high expectations was a mistake !
Probably due to enthusiasm for version 4.  For now I will stay with
3.5.5 and "Open Suse 11.0"  can stay in its box.

> > Anyway anything published now is going to out of date in....... ?
>
> Some end-user documentation is being prepared right now.  Give us
> another week or two.  Certainly by the time 4.1 comes out - and
> that is what the devs saw as mainstream - there will be some pages
> up.  I'll post links as soon as I have them.  At least they should
> help you know what is possible and what will just have to wait a
> little longer.
>
> Anne

Thankyou for your comments.  I will look forward to having a look at
those pages when they are available.

--
Best Regards:
             Derrick.