[kde-linux] Users guide to KDE?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 3 06:42:23 UTC 2008

On Thursday 03 July 2008 00:09:25 Kevin Coonan wrote:
> There seems to be a notable lack of consumer and non-hardcore Linux hacker
> documentation for KDE, esp. in the standard print/e-book (e.g. O'Reilly)
> distribution channels.  If you walk into your local book store you see
> guides to some other OS/UI's abound (e.g. Windows Vista for
> Dummies/Idiots/Power users).  While some may be happy w/ in line comments
> from the source code, or a man entry, there are many more potential users
> who would see this as a sign that they are not about to jump off the end of
> the earth . . .
>
> Anyone think this is an issue?  Seems like it would help move both
> end-users and business decision makers from proprietary platforms.

Yes and no.  Certainly it would help with visibility, but the truth is that it
takes so long to get such a book onto the shelf that it's already out of date
when it's launched.  The only solution I can think of is to make it a very
simplistic introduction to the main features of KDE 4 and give URLs for
places where new stuff can be read about.