[kde-linux] Possibility of problems when copying files over?

Dale dalek1967 at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 25 15:46:15 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 25 Jan 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> Anne Wilson wrote:

>>> I simply copied all the relevant folders onto a removable drive.  I have
>>> kept my uid and gid, so didn't expect any problem.
>>>
>> It is making a backup copy without using the "-a" option that can cause
>> problems.  That is if you "simply copy" permissions *will* probably be
>> changed.
>>

> I don't think they were.  I should mention that they were copied to an ext3
> partition on a usb drive.

I made the mistake of not using -a once before when transferring my OS
from one drive to another.  Most all the permissions were changed to
root:root since I did the copy as root.  I have not done any specific
research but it seems to have a lot to do with who you are logged in as
and the permissions of the parent directory.   You may have just been
lucky.  I'm just glad I tested mine before erasing the old install.

> <  SNIP >
>
> Anne

Dale

:-)  :-)