[kde-linux] Sound conversion from .rm to.mp3 (LM---)

LM--- ludovicmarchetti at web.de
Wed Jan 23 21:16:54 UTC 2008

Hello Sergey, hello James Richard, hello everyone,

@ flux at hotbox.ru
and
@ tyrerj at acm.org

I've just tried Sergey's command line instructions, i.e.
mplayer file.rm -ao pcm && lame -m s --cbr -b 320 -s 44.1 audiodump.wav
file.mp3 && rm -f audiodump.wav
converted three files (however I did the three steps separately, to
watch if things go well, and check in between, you know... a beginner...
and also to try different settings, for lame operation), and it all
worked perfectly fine.

The only thing is I was unable to give any other name to the output file
produced by mplayer and was forced to accept what obviously is the
default name (audiodump.wav). I checked the (yes, indeed, pretty long)
man pages of mplayer and tried everything (with and without <...> , with
and without .wav) nothing doing, I didn't get any other name than
audiodump.wav.
well I just checked the console again and read this:
[AO PCM] Info: To write WAVE files use -ao pcm:waveheader (default).
Does it mean I should formulate the syntax for mplayer like this:
mplayer file.rm -ao pcm:waveheader file=xyz.wav
?

@ Emanoil Kotsev <a9706152 at unet.univie.ac.at>
I will also try your suggestion:

mencoder <filename.rm> -oac mp3lame -o <output.mp3>

for it seems to save one step - I'll let you all know.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Ludovic