[kde-linux] State of Konqueror ?

sc toothpik at swbell.net
Fri Jan 18 00:57:01 UTC 2008

On Thursday 17 January 2008 18:10, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday 18 January 2008, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> > I think some of you said these things already but I'll
> > say them again . . .
> >
> > On Thursday 17 January 2008 14:18:34 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > There have been many complaints that konqueror is too
> > > big, too complicated, too configurable,
> >
> > Ridiculous. If you don't want to set any configurable
> > options, then simply DON'T go browsing through the
> > settings menu - use the defaults. If people can't find
> > what they consider to be "basic" options because there's
> > "too many" to browse through (I'll maybe agree with
> > that), perhaps these "Basic" options could be left "out
> > in the open" and the rest hidden under an "Advanced"
> > button.
>
> Most complaints I have heard of are not actually options or
> configurability (even if those are the words used to
> describe the actual problem), but more a difficulty to work
> with the "multiple personality" feature, a.k.a. profiles,
> e.g. parts of the GUI (menus, toolbars) changing when
> "clicking the wrong link/button", stuff like this.

just thought i'd get in my two cents while the fate of
konqueror is being discussed

i've always been distrustful of applications that try to do
everything for everyone -- i had an uneasy peace with it, and
had a profile that worked and figured out how to get it to
show me "hidden" files -- i started looking at pictures,
which triggered gwenview from konqueror, which was what i
wanted, but after several times using gwenview from
konqueror, i can't describe it any other way than to say
konqueror became infected with gwenview -- almost everything
i tried to open opened in gwenview (unless there was a
specific association with another application), especially
directories, opened in gwenview, with these huge icons for
every file

i was never able to get konqueror to act right after that,
and when i discovered krusader i liked it better anyway --
never looked back

further, i've been absolutely enthralled with firefox ever
since i discovered ad-block-plus

when i want to work with the filesystem, i want a good
utility for files -- when i want to browse the web, i want a
good browser -- i think it's just silly to try and do both
with the same application

</rant>

sc