[kde-linux] State of Konqueror ?

Jonathan Wilson jw at mailsw.com
Thu Jan 17 23:18:17 UTC 2008

I think some of you said these things already but I'll say them again . . .

On Thursday 17 January 2008 14:18:34 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 17 January 2008 19:46:46 Richard wrote:
> > Well, after reviewing Dolphin the new file manager for KDE 4, and Firefox
> > 3 Beta3.  I could not help but think?, there must something serious wrong
> > with Konqueror...
>
> There have been many complaints that konqueror is too big, too complicated,
> too configurable,

Ridiculous. If you don't want to set any configurable options, then simply
DON'T go browsing through the settings menu - use the defaults. If people
can't find what they consider to be "basic" options because there's "too
many" to browse through (I'll maybe agree with that), perhaps these "Basic"
options could be left "out in the open" and the rest hidden under
an "Advanced" button.

> For those of us that like its configurability, we get to keep
> konqueror.

Forks are good for who? Can't we give these users a program that's a shell
with fewer options that is still really running the Konqeror engine ++ in the
background? Otherwise, what third parties are ever going to develop plugins
for /two/ KDE file managers?

> Konqueror does, however, have its roots in old code, and it has proved very
> difficult to keep up to date in terms of web browsing because of that.  The
> funny thing is that while there are some sites that Konqueror just can't
> handle, today I met one with a form which Firefox displayed wrongly -
> missing a field completely, and therefore could not be returned.  Konqueror
> displayed it and sent it off without a problem.  I find it very necessary
> to have both FF and Konq to hand.
>
> Once kde4 settles down it will be time to decide where web browsing goes in
> kde - though the decisions are probably made already.

I'm probably way out of touch but I thought Apple was contributing
improvements to KTHML or whatever back to Konqueror/KDE? Or is that way old
news and Safari is based on something proprietary now?

	JW