[kde-linux] Problems with user account Trash

joseph lockhart jwl_andlovesaidno at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 15 02:57:00 UTC 2008

> >> I have a reoccurring problem with "Trash".  I
> right
> >> click on the DeskTop
> >> icons and select "Empty Trash Can" and the icon
> >> doesn't change.  So, I
> >> try it again and I get a strange error message.
> >>
> >> I have found the problem, there are files in:
> >> $HOME/.local/share/Trash
> >> which are not owned by the user account that
> $HOME
> >> belongs to.
> >>
> >> If I open a Konsole and:
> >>
> >> chown -R <user>:<user> $HOME/.local/share/Trash*
> >>
> >> and then try to empty the trash again, it works.
> >>

> > is it possible that you sent something to the
> trash
> > while running root/kdesu?
> >

> If he is deleting as root, it goes to the root Trash
> can.  Correct?
> Mine does.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

fair statement, though if he is deleting as user then
what other explanation do you have as to how he could
delete something but then have to chown it to himself
to get it out of the trashcan?

and i don't know where the trash goes, i always set
mine to /dev/null where it belongs :P

jwlockhart

Registered Linux User #458799
Registered Kubuntu User #19678