[kde-linux] Problems with user account Trash

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Jan 14 19:55:07 UTC 2008

joseph lockhart wrote:
> --- James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org> wrote:
>
>> I have a reoccurring problem with "Trash".  I right
>> click on the DeskTop
>> icons and select "Empty Trash Can" and the icon
>> doesn't change.  So, I
>> try it again and I get a strange error message.
>>
>> I have found the problem, there are files in:
>> $HOME/.local/share/Trash
>> which are not owned by the user account that $HOME
>> belongs to.
>>
>> If I open a Konsole and:
>>
>> chown -R <user>:<user> $HOME/.local/share/Trash*
>>
>> and then try to empty the trash again, it works.
>>
>> Anybody else have this issue?
>>
>> Is this a configuration issue?  or should I report
>> it as a bug?
>>
>> --
>> JRT
>>

> is it possible that you sent something to the trash
> while running root/kdesu?

Yes, I sent a lot of stuff to trash while running a Konqueror window
opened with kdesu.  Isn't it supposed to go to ".Trash-<n>" directories
in the directory that it was trashed from?  Or, to be more precise.  If
I deleted a user's file as root, where would the file have to be for it
to wind up in: "$HOME/.local/share/Trash"?

--
JRT