[kde-linux] How to get scroll mouse working again?

Rod Butcher rbutcher at hyenainternet.com
Sat Jan 12 07:34:16 UTC 2008

Larry Alkoff wrote:
> I am running Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 and have just had the problem
> that my scroll mouse will not scroll in Firefox or Thunderbird.
> Normally it scrolls fine.
>
> I have tried various methods of getting the scroll working again including
> /etc/init.d/gpm restart
> and
> logging out of KDE and restarting it
> and
> checking that there were no changes in /etc/X11/xorg.conf by comparing
> it to a backup copy made over 2 months ago.
>
> The only thing that finally worked was to restart (cold boot) the computer.
>
> Is there any way to get the scroll mouse working again without a cold boot?
I had that problem once when I changed X versions... I had to add the
following to my startup script to get scrolling working again - the
version I had was different for some reason and didn't work. You can
issue it from the terminal line first to see if it works -
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 4 5"
For more on xmodmap see xmodmap --help or man xmodmap
It maps your mouse buttons among other things.
Rod